Insomnia is a prevalent problem in the UK, with an estimated one third of people suffering from the condition at some point in their lives. While a wide variety of remedies, from pleasant scents to herbal drinks, are recommended, one area that is often overlooked is the use of classical music.
Research by the University of Cumbria has demonstrated that the right choice of music can help to induce a state of relaxation needed for restful sleep. Piano and string instruments were found to be particularly beneficial, especially if the music also features 90 beats per minute in a time of 4/4.
Classical music has long been a popular choice for parents of newborn babies frustrated by their youngster’s apparent inability to sleep for more than a couple of hours, but the remedy needn’t be restricted to the younger generations. If you’re looking for a musical cure or aid to help to induce sleep and give you or your family more peaceful, undisturbed nights, the following classical compositions are among the most recommended:
1. Moonlight Sonata (Ludwig van Beethoven)
2. Clair De Lune (Claude Debussy)
3. Canon in D (Johann Pachelbel)
4. Gymnopédie No.1 (Erik Satie)
5. Adagio for Organ and Strings in G Minor (Tomaso Albernoni)
6. Piano Concerto No. 21 (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)
7. Adagio for Strings (Samuel Barber)
8. Autumn from The Four Seasons (Gustav Holst)
9. Piano Quintet in A Major – 2, Andante (Franz Schubert)
10. Serenade no.10 (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart)
Of course, playing soothing classical music until the early hours will be of little benefit if your sleeping position is uncomfortable, so ensuring you have a supportive mattress is essential to enjoy long stretches of undisturbed rest. A well-sprung, good quality mattress is also necessary to enable you to achieve the optimum sleeping position, in order to prevent the onset of muscle, ligament or spine problems that will cause pain, not only at night, but during the daytime.
So before you update your iTunes account with a range of soothing classics, make sure that you give your body the best chance to enjoy peaceful sleep by replacing your mattress.