- Start with a bedroom space that has minimal clutter, soft lighting and restful colors. Simplicity and tranquility are themes that should take center stage here. Refrain from anything jarring or harsh such as artwork depicting violence or colors and sounds that agitate the senses.
- A pastel or neutral color palette is recommended for the bedroom, especially when accented with touches of red and/or pick which are considered colors of passion. Red and pink invoke romance, whether you are single or in a relationship. Use these colors judiciously though—too much is not good because it can cause your passion to ‘burn out’.
- Choose the placement of the bed carefully. It should be against a solid wall, away from any doors and windows, while the bed itself should have a nice, solid headboard and a stable bedframe. This enhances feelings of safety and security. Take note of this principle, especially when designing bedrooms for children.
- Rearrange bedroom furniture to avoid sharp edges and corners which point towards the bed. These are called ‘poison arrows’. Whenever possible, use curved objects like round tables and curving shelves instead of furniture pieces with angles and rigid lines.
- Reserve the bedroom for rest, intimacy and relaxation. TVs, exercise equipment or work desks should not be in this area. If your house is not big enough to let you keep these objects in another room, then use folding screens to keep them out of sight or stash them away in an armoire or a big closet when not in use.
- If you are single and hoping to be in a relationship, then furnish your bedroom in readiness for a partner. Clear out a drawer and leave it empty, and make sure that your closets and bathroom counter space are not filled to bursting. Make sure that the bedside tables and lamps are matching. The idea is to decorate the bedroom for two; by preparing a space for someone special, you are opening yourself up to romantic energy.
- Mirrors are double-edged weapons in feng shui. When placed across a poison arrow or a bad luck sector, it can protect you from negative energy. On the other hand, it can also magnify stress and problems when used improperly. Mirrors should not be visible from the bed at all times; if you can see yourself while in bed, rearrange them in another direction or drape them with a piece of fabric. Mirrors mounted on the ceiling may be standard motel décor but it’s not such a good idea in your home; feng shui practitioners caution that it can actually invite problems with infidelity into your relationship.
HURRY! OUR 70% OFF FLASH DEALS END IN...
Free Next Day Delivery*
Choose Your Delivery Day
We'll Remove Your Old Mattress