Top Ten Sleep Tips from Simmons Bedding Company
Better sleep through science has been the motto of the Simmons Bedding Company for decades. Since 1925, Simmons has been studying how people sleep in order to improve their mattresses and offer people the most restful night's sleep possible. They offer the following top ten tips for better sleep.
1. Reduce stress in your daily life. Stress and worry will keep you awake at night.
2. Exercise regularly, but relax for at least two hours before bedtime. Exercising too close to bedtime will keep you awake.
3. Keep your mind stimulated during the day. Exercising your mind is as important as exercising your body.
4. Eat properly. A healthy, nutritious diet is vital for many things, including good sleep. Not getting enough potassium in your diet, for instance, can trigger charleyhorses - those nasty shin and calf cramps during the night.
5. Quit smoking. Nicotine is a stimulant that remains in your body for hours after your last cigarette. If you must smoke tobacco, stub out the last cigarette a few hours before bedtime.
6. Reduce the amount of caffeine that you drink. Coffee is only one culprit there - tea, chocolate and many sodas also contain caffeine. Don't drink caffeinated beverages within a few hours of bedtime.
7. Avoid alcohol in the few hours before bedtime.
8. A warm bath before bed can help relax your muscles and get you ready to sleep.
9. Keep stress out of the bedroom. If possible, locate your computer, workout equipment and other reminders of stress out of the room where you sleep.
10. A bedtime ritual can signal your body that it's time to shut down for the night. Go to bed at the same time each night, and set up a comfortable "getting ready for bed" ritual that will get you in the mood for a good night's sleep.