Who are Tuft & Springs?
Tuft & Springs are the leaders in high quality, luxury mattresses. By combining traditional techniques at the heart of the mattress industry with innovative modern technology, they are able to create some of the most indulgent mattresses available.
Handmade in Yorkshire, Tuft & Springs pride themselves on the inclusion of hand tufting as a method of securing fillings in many of their mattresses. Hand tufting has long been a symbol of true, dedicated craftsmanship and keen attention to detail.
Tuft & Springs don't shy away from modern technology, either, with the inclusion of expertly engineered pocket spring systems that provide incredible support for any type of sleeper. These mattresses are truly one of a kind, offering the most luxurious night's sleep you could dream of.
Why choose a Tuft & Springs mattress?
Tuft & Springs ensure you are not only well supported, but supported in style with their range of exceptional mattresses. They use natural fillings such as silk, cashmere, wool and cotton to provide incredible softness, cushioning and even temperature regulating properties in their mattresses.
Tuft & Springs mattresses are available in a range of firmnesses and styles. If you sleep on your side, opt for a medium tension, such as the Opulence 3000 Pillow Top Mattress. This luxurious pillow top mattress will cradle your pressure points in sumptuous layers of silk and cotton, keeping your spine properly aligned to ease breathing in the night, as well as promote better posture. Tuft & Springs cut no corners when creating their indulgent mattresses, so you can enjoy the best night's sleep possible.
There truly is a Tuft & Springs mattress, for everyone. If you prefer a softer mattress, we recommend you take a look at the Enchantment 1500 Mattress, which features supple layers of natural materials, like silk and cashmere, to envelope your body in pure bliss night after night.
What is mattress tufting?
The term mattress tufting refers to a traditional manufacturing technique that makes sure that all the upholstery layers included within a mattress always remain precisely where they are intended to be. The tufting process efficiently pulls each layer of upholstery together through the pocket spring unit before it binds it tightly at either side, typically finished with a woollen pom-pom. This method makes sure that the mattress is entirely even, and is usually only found on only the most premium of mattresses, such as Tuft & Springs.
Ever since pocket spring mattresses were first manufactured, tufting has been employed to assist in aligning each upholstery layer and ensuring the mattresses themselves have a more uniform feel.
The inclusion of tufting in a mattress, especially hand tufting, is a true symbol of dedicated craftsmanship and incredible quality.
What is the difference between a tufted mattress and a quilted mattress?
It goes without saying that a robust mattress that keeps its shape over time will present a better investment than a model where materials will move or weaken, becoming uncomfortable and bad for backs. Two techniques are typically used to keep the material layers of a mattress aligned - tufting and quilting - but how do they differ? Most of Tuft & Springs mattresses employ hand tufting, but some offer quilting - so you're able to choose based on your own preference.
What is a quilted mattress?
- Unlike tufting where material layers are drawn together and fastened, quilting involves the stitching of several different layers of material together instead.
- Quilted mattresses use thread to hold the multiple soft layers of a mattress to one another. Tufting, by contrast, employs several tufting straps that instead hold the individual layers together.
- Quilted mattresses can be presented with stitching in a versatile selection of different patterns; however, often they feature a design that is undulating and runs from one side of the mattress to the other.
What is a tufted mattress?
- While some may prefer a quilted mattress over a tufted mattress as they feel they are slightly more even, others will seek the iconic look and feel of a tufted mattress. Additionally, hand tufted mattresses are renowned for their superior craftsmanship and exceptional strength.
- As a rule, tufting is typically found on mattresses of higher quality. Quilting on the other hand can be seen on mattresses of varying standards. For example, innerspring and foam mattresses often come quilted, while almost all mattresses available using superior systems like pocket spring coils will have a tufted exterior. However, all of the mattresses in our Tuft & Springs range are of impeccable quality, whether they're tufted or quilted.
What are the benefits of a tufted mattress?
The technique of tufting ensures that all layers of a mattress hold together effectively. This stops the materials that mattresses are made of from sagging or shifting over time and producing a more even surface that is comfortable for sleeping on.
This traditional method of manufacturing mattresses makes them last far longer, making them much better value for money. Investing in a tufted mattress rather than less well-made options will see you recompensed by an extended period of service from a product that has been designed to endure.
Even though tufting is a time-consuming, sometimes expensive process, Tuft & Springs believe it is integral to increasing the longevity of their mattresses as well as enhancing the comfort you receive from them.
How to make a tufted mattress more comfortable
If you've invested in a Tuft & Springs mattress, it is very unlikely you'll have to make your mattress more comfortable, as they are already created to the highest possible standard. However, you may find that over time, the features of the mattress you've chosen no longer suits your needs. For example, if you develop a bad back, you may require a firmer sleeping surface, and can consider purchasing a firm mattress topper until your symptoms ease. Tufted mattresses are, by nature, incredibly comfortable, and our Tuft & Springs range uses the most premium of materials to ensure your comfort night after night.