Mattress Buying Guide
Choosing a new mattress can be difficult, especially online. With all the jargon and styles it can be tricky to know what's best for you. We've broken down the most asked questions when it comes to mattress shopping to make it simpler to shop.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF MATTRESS?
- The most affordable style
- A great choice for guest bedrooms
- Lightweight making them easy to turn and rotate
Open spring mattresses are a great affordable choice making them perfect for guests or children that are likely to outgrow the mattress quickly. The affordability certainly doesn't compromise the comfort however they do not last as long as other mattress styles. The need to replace them is increased if they are used every day.
- No transfer of movement
- Total body support and pressure relief
The springs work independently making this a perfect choice for couples. There is no transfer of movement so you won't notice your sleeping partner moving or accidentally roll into each other. Because the springs are individually wrapped, it provides consistent support all over the body no matter how you lay.
FOAM & MEMORY FOAM
- Ideal for allergy sufferers
- Provides more support
- Suitable for all sleeping positions
Foam mattresses mould to your body shape and provide the perfect support. Ideal for couples of different weights that require different support. Foam mattresses also have anti-microbial properties making them dust mite resistant and a great choice for allergy sufferers.
WHAT TENSION DO I NEED?
Mattress spring tensions are usually described as soft, medium and firm. This is commonly mistaken for how the mattress will feel but it's all dependant on your body-weight. Tensions are designed for different body-weights and not necessarily comfort preferences.
Suitable for body-weights up to 8 stone and generally designed with a 1.2 mm spring diameter.
Medium tension is the most common and is suitable for those weighing between 8 - 16 stone. It's usually a 1.4 mm wire diameter.
Provides optimum support for those weighing 16 stone plus with a 1.6 mm wire diameter.
If you and your partner require different spring tensions then a zip & link mattress could be a great option. They allow you couples to maintain their individual comfort preferences while sharing the same bed.
WHAT SIZE MATTRESS DO I NEED?
SMALL SINGLE MATTRESS (W 75 x L 190 cm)
Ideal for: children, narrow bedframes & small bedrooms
SINGLE MATTRESS (W 90 x L 190 cm)
Ideal for: children, teenagers, single sleepers
Ideal for: smaller bedrooms, single sleepers wanting more space, spare bedrooms
Ideal for: couples, larger spare rooms
Ideal for: taller people, couples
Ideal for: spacious sleeping, larger bedrooms
WHAT KIND OF SLEEPER AM I?
Your sleeping position can influence what mattress tension is best for you. Here are our tips for mattress shopping based on your sleeping position:
When sleeping on your back your lower back should be flat to the surface but not sinking in. A good way to test this is to slide a pillow under your back. If the pillow fits easily, you might need a softer mattress, if it's too tight then the mattress may too soft.
Side sleepers need a softer spring to allow the hip and shoulders to sink into the mattress. This is to keep the spine straight and avoid causing pressure on the joints. Placing a pillow between the knees can also reduce pressure on the joints.
Front sleepers tend to need a mattress with firmer support to reduce gaps between you and the mattress surface. When sleeping on your front it's important to keep the spine and neck in a neutral position. This can mean sleeping without a pillow if necessary.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT UPON DELIVERY?
- Your mattress may have been compressed when transported, this is perfectly normal and it will resume it's shape naturally
- When unpacking the mattress, leave it uncovered for a few hours and allow it to breathe
- You may notice a slight odour when unpacking the mattress, the fillings will occasionally release a smell but it is no cause for concern and will dissipate once the mattress has aired
- The mattress fillings sometimes need time to settle after being transported. During this time the mattress may feel slightly different but this will adjust once the fillings have settled
- If you have purchased a rolled mattress, please ensure that it is unrolled and placed within its cover on a bed in a warm room for 24 hours before using. This allows the fillings and springs to completely settle and regain a normal shape
Looking after your mattress will keep it in better condition and extend the life of the mattress. Here's our top tips for aftercare:
- Air your mattress for at least 4 hours after delivery to ensure there is no odour
- Rotate your double-sided mattress head to foot and turn it over completely once a fortnight for the first 12 weeks, then once a month. Always check your mattress instructions as some can't be turned over and just require rotating
- Rotate latex and memory foam mattresses 180 degrees monthly
- Air your mattress on a weekly basis by stripping back your bedding for a few hours
- Always use a mattress protector to ensure the mattress is free from stains and damage from liquid
- Clean the mattress every few months with a soft brush. Do not use a vacuum as this can disrupt the fillings and cause damage
- Dab any spills with a dry cloth to remove excess moisture then clean with a slightly damp cloth and a mild detergent
ORDERING YOUR MATTRESS
What Are My Delivery Options?
Next day delivery on most items. Estimated delivery of the item will be available when checking out. Delivery is free for orders over £150 and charged a £9.95 charge for orders under £150. We also offer a Room Of Choice delivery option which is an additional £14.95.
How To Pay (Interest Free Credit)
We offer customers that spend £500 or more the option to split the cost of your purchase over 12 months with our finance plan (0% APR representative, subject to status. Terms and conditions apply).
A mattress recycling scheme is available where we are able to pick up your old mattress whilst delivering your new one. This is the most convenient option for many and is available for just £39.95.