Revealed: These are the best mattresses for sex
Did you know that the average British couple has sex once a week? And, when it comes to your sex life, there are a lot of factors to take into account. But one that you might be forgetting is your bed, particularly, your mattress.
So, MattressNextDay have pooled their expertise together to reveal the best mattresses for your intimate moments, taking into account breathability, firmness, durability, bounce, comfort, support, noise control and, of course, how easy it is to clean after a night between the sheets.
This is the ultimate mattress to satisfy you between the sheets
There are plenty of things to think about when it comes to mattresses. If it’s too soft, your knees can sink in which restricts your ability to try different positions. If it’s not supportive enough, you could end up with an injury. And, if the mattress has the tell-tale squeak, you might have an interesting encounter with your neighbours the next morning. But not anymore.
|Mattress Name||Firmness||Breathability||Easiness to clean||Noise||Durability||Bounce||Comfort||Support||Total|
|Sealy Nostromo Posturepedic Pocket 1400 Latex Mattress||5||4||3||5||5||5||5||4||36|
|Silentnight Classic 1200 Pocket Deluxe Mattress||5||4||3||5||5||4||5||4||35|
|Sleepeezee Wool Supreme Pocket Mattress||5||4||3||5||4||5||5||4||35|
|SleepSoul Wish 3000 Series Pocket Cool Gel Mattress||4||5||3||4||5||3||5||5||34|
|Tuft & Springs Chantilly 3000 Pocket Natural Pillow Top Mattress||4||5||2||4||5||4||4||5||33|
|Relyon Natural Luxury Supreme 2150 Pillow Top Mattress||5||4||2||5||4||5||5||3||33|
|Sleepeezee Beautyrest Boutique Lexington 1800 Mattress||5||3||4||3||5||4||5||4||33|
|Dreamland Cashmere 1000 Mattress||4||4||2||5||5||3||5||4||32|
|Relyon Comfort Pure 1000 Mattress||3||4||3||4||5||2||4||5||30|
|Silentnight 2000 Mirapocket Luxury Mattress||4||3||2||4||4||3||4||5||29|
MattressNextDay has analysed over 413 of their mattresses, scoring each one between 1 and 5 (the higher the number, the better) on a range of categories - including firmness, durability, bounce, support and even how easy it is to clean.
The Sealy Nostromo Posturepedic Pocket 1400 Latex Mattress scores top marks, taking 36 points. The mattress scored full points for firmness, noise control, durability, bounce and comfort. The firmness guarantees support when you need to move about and the pocket springs support your entire body, especially for an adventurous night…
Digging deeper into the scoring system, MattressNextDay is sharing their recommendations for all categories - meaning your sex life should go from zero to hero.
What are the best mattresses for sex?
- Firmness: Sealy Nostromo Posturepedic Pocket
- Breathability (cooling): Tuft & Springs Chantilly 3000 Pocket
- Easy clean: Sleepeezee Beautyrest Boutique Lexington
- Most silent: Dreamland Cashmere
- Durability: Silentnight Classic
- Bounce: Relyon Natural Luxury Supreme
- Comfort: Sleepeezee Wool Supreme Pocket
- Support: Silentnight 2000 Mirapocket Luxury
Best mattress for firmness during romance
If you’re looking for a bit of adventure with your partner - perhaps some different positions, you need a bit of firmness to keep you in check. Enter the Sealy Nostromo Posturepedic Pocket 1400 Latex Mattress, offering a firmness that will also provide you with a good night’s sleep. As the average Brit spends seven and a half years tired (which is one of the top excuses for not having sex), it’s important to consider your sleep.
- 1400 individual pocket springs in separate cotton pockets which will provide your entire body with support.
- Pillow-top mattress with a firmness rating of 3, so you can get a comfortable night’s sleep after your night of passion.
- Natural Latex filling that’s hypoallergenic because who needs an allergic reaction during sex.
Best mattress to keep you cool during sex
You are in the throes of romance and, suddenly, one of you starts sweating profusely. It’s a bit of a disaster, but no more. We’ve chosen the Tuft & Springs Chantilly 3000 Pocket Natural Pillow Top Mattress, which has chrome air vents that allows air to circulate - regulating the temperature of your romantic night.
- Natural cotton and pure wool material for a soft feel, meaning you are in for a relaxed night.
- 3000 individual pocket springs for maximum comfort and support.
- It’s 35cm deep, making it deeper than most mattresses. So, the comfort factor is seriously enhanced.
Best mattress to clean after a romantic night
Did you know that it is advised to properly wash your mattress every six months? Your mattress can gather dirt, dust and skin cells, so you need to keep on top of it - especially if you are getting on top of it with your partner. The Sleepeezee Beautyrest Boutique Lexington 1800 Mattress scored a 4 on our Mattress Sex Guide, meaning it’s one of the best to keep clean.
- Single-sided mattress so no need to flip and turn, making it easier to clean.
- The mattress boasts StayCool gel which creates a cool, fresh sleeping environment all night long.
- The memory foam is designed to cradle and conform to your body shape for support.
Best mattress for noise control during sex
A study found that 66% of people moan just to speed up their partner’s orgasm, while a further 87% actually make noise to pretend they are reaching their peak. So, if you are one of those couples who make a lot of noise during sex, you need something to keep you quiet. The Dreamland Cashmere 1000 Mattress will help to keep your intimate moments quiet.
- 1000 individually pocketed springs in the King-Size version for the ultimate in comfort and support.
- The air vents allow the air to flow to keep everything cool.
- Medium to firm support – ideal for those who struggle with back problems.
Most durable mattress for intimacy
If you get frisky more than once a week (the UK average), durability is going to be a huge consideration when it comes to replacing your mattress. The Silentnight Classic 1200 Pocket Deluxe Mattress is plenty durable with 1,200 pocket springs that are supportive on your hips and back.
- The mattress boasts Purotex technology to minimise moisture and allergens.
- Comfort, support and value for Money - according to Which?
- Firm zone to support lower back and hips.
Bounciest mattress for sex
If there’s one thing you need for a good sex life, it’s bounce. Britain’s favourite sex position, actually requires a lot of bounce, which is where the Relyon Natural Luxury Supreme 2150 Pillow Top Mattress comes into play.
- Medium firmness rating (3) guarantees support and cushioning, meaning you’ve got that extra bit of bounce.
- It boasts a luxurious silk that creates the ultimate top layer for real indulgence.
- The Individual pocketed springs minimise movement transference, meaning you and your partner don’t disturb each other.
The most comfortable mattress for sex
A study found that almost half (48%) prefer the missionary position, which requires comfort.
Luckily, the Sleepeezee Wool Supreme Pocket Mattress does just that. The materials the mattress is made of include wool and silk, meaning you will certainly be comfortable when it comes to cuddling.
- Brass air vents and a honeycomb design that allows air to circulate.
- Hypoallergenic that is ideal for anyone with respiratory issues.
- The mattress has pocket springs, which helps to minimise roll-together and helps both of you get a better night sleep.
Best mattress for supportive sex
A recent study found that 20% of young Brits have fallen out of bed during sex, which could mean there is a serious lack of support and that could lead to even further damage. Silentnight 2000 Mirapocket Luxury Mattress has plenty of support, with 2,000 pocketed springs to do just that.
- The reinforced edges allow for a larger sleeping area to spread out on at night.
- Recycled materials make this an eco-friendly option.
- The knitted cover is breathable which enables air to flow through.
Martin Seeley, CEO of MattressNextDay, said: “When you’re shopping for a new mattress, you may focus on one that suits your sleep needs, but it’s just as important to think about how the mattress may impact your sex life, too.
“For example, if your mattress is too soft, your knees can sink into it which will restrict your ability to try different positions. On the other hand, if it’s not supportive enough, then you could end up with an injury – which is why 20% of Brits have fallen off their bed whilst having sex with their partner.
“There are lots of important factors to consider but luckily for those on the lookout for a new mattress to spice up their sex life, we’ve done the hard work for you.
“After analysing over 400 mattresses, we’ve discovered the Sealy Nostromo Posturepedic Pocket Mattress to come out on top – scoring 36/40. The double-sized mattress costs £579.95 and comes with a five-year guarantee, giving you peace of mind. However, it’s great value too - with the average couple having sex once per week, over the five-year period, this also means that each time you have sex with your partner, it costs just £2.23 to have the best sex.
“Although you can’t put a price on good sex, as it positively impacts other aspects of your life too -
From lowering your blood pressure, improving your physical health, reducing your stress levels and, of course, strengthening your relationship with your partner.”
5 tips on improving your sex life in bed
If you’ve got the new mattress and are still looking to breathe a little life into you and your partner’s relationship, we’ve got you covered.
- Try different positions as developing a repertoire of positions not only ignites interest but can actually help ease problems within your relationship.
- Write down any fantasies if you are struggling to say them and then share your notes to start the conversation with your partner. You could keep these by the side of your bed and chat with your partner openly about them.
- Prioritise relaxation and romance by spending some moments together, such as lying in bed and making time for talking to strengthen your bond.
- Maintain your physical connection. Try and hug and kiss each day - such as in the morning when you wake up in bed - and embrace the romance.
- Don’t focus on sex but build your physical intimacy by trying to spend more time together and taking the pressure off sex. You can chat in bed, play board games or just sit with one another.
If you are looking for a new mattress, check out our guide to the best mattresses for couples. If you are looking for something to watch to spice up your romance in the bedroom, we’ve also uncovered the sexiest films ever.